Jul 24, 2013 03:56 PM EDT
Downton Abbey Season 4 SPOILERS: New Characters To Replace Matthew, Sybil; Will O’Brien Die? [NEW CAST ROUND-UP]
“Downton Abbey” has quite in its cast list that needs filling! After Dan Stevens’ and Jessica Findlay Brown’s departures from the show meant that major characters Matthew Crawley and Lady Sybil were killed off in Season 3, “Downton Abbey” creator Julian Fellowes needs to find some new characters to fill screen time and plot points – and fast.
Siobhan Finneran, who plays the devious maid O’Brien, will also be leaving the show – however, she won’t die.
Julian Fellowes told Xfinity that Matthew and Sybil had to be killed off because they were members of the family, but that O’Brien will survive. She will leave the family to find a new position, thus explaining her absence.
Rob James-Collier, who plays Thomas, revealed that a new character will replace O’Brien.
“O’Brien’s replacement is quite interesting because Thomas has brought her in without a reference,” Collier revealed. “He knows her from the past. He, obviously, has some kind of hold on her, but what that is, who knows? He is using her, manipulating her with the secret he has on her to feed back to him the stories and goings on from upstairs so he can use it to his advantage.”
We don’t yet know who this replacement will be, but here’s the scoop on other newcomers to “Downton Abbey.”
• Daisy Lewis will play a nanny who falls in love with the newly-widowed Tom Branson in a “main storyline of the series.”
“Her romance with Tom will be one of the main storylines of the series. He will begin to develop feelings for her and they start a secret affair,” a source revealed.
• Gary Carr will play Jack Ross, “Downton Abbey’s” first black character. Ross, a jazz singer, may have a romance with the Crawley’s cousin Rose.
“We know she’s a bit of a wild child, right? She’s a bit rebellious, and she likes the boyfriends,” executive producer Gareth Neame said of the possibility.
• Tom Cullen will play Lord Gillingham, a possible love interest for Lady Mary, according to TVLine.
• Paul Giamatti will guest star as Cora’s brother Harold, described as “the rather free-spirited uncle to Mary and Edith.”
• Other new actors include Dame Harriet Walters as Lady Shackleton, an old friend of the Dowager’s, Nigle Harman as a visiting valet named Green, Joanna David as the Duchess of Yeovil, Dame Kiri Te Kanawa as a singing house guest and Julian Ovenden as an aristocrat named Charles Blake, according to the Hollywood Reporter.
Read more “Downton Abbey” spoilers below.© 2014 Fashion & Style.com All rights reserved. Do not reproduce without permission.